Minutes of the Business Meeting
Hegel Society of America
November 4-6, 2016
Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Minutes respectfully submitted by Michael Baur (Secretary of the Hegel Society of America)
- President Angelica Nuzzo called the meeting to order at approximately 6:18 pm.
- The Treasurer, Ardis Collins, presented the Treasure’s Report for 2014 to 2016. Between October 2014 and October 2014 income received totaled $35,579, of which $31,308 came from subscription income. Expenses paid out totaled $32,168.
The Society’s checking account had a balance brought forward in October 2014 of $19,366. The current balance is $37,850.
The Society also has funds invested in a certificate of deposit. The balance brought forward in October 2014 was $15,123 and is now $15,176.
The Society’s total assets (checking account plus the certificate of deposit) are $58,327.
- The following members were nominated for office:
|President ||Allegra De Laurentiis and Jere Surber
|Vice-President ||Mark Alznauer
|Councilor ||Emilia Angelova, Anton Barba-Kay, Andrew Davis, and Paul Wilford
Allegra De Laurentiis was elected President; Mark Alznauer was elected to the office of Vice-President; Emilia Angelova, Anton Barba-Kay, and Andrew Davis were elected as Councilors. Ardis Collins and Michael Baur will continue in their positions as Treasurer and Secretary, respectively. Lou Turner will remain in his position as Councilor.
- The following three topics were proposed for the 2016 Hegel Society meeting:
Hegel and Democracy
It was agreed that the policy of including a membership-wide vote to decide the theme would continue.
Hegel and Nature
Hegel, Tragedy, and Comedy
- David Morris of Concordia University was thanked for his work as the local organizer of the 2016 meeting.
- A motion was made to thank Concordia University for its institutional support of the 2016 meeting. The motion was approved by acclamation.
- The meeting adjourned at approximately 7:27pm.
Return to the Hegel Society of America Home Page
Contact the webmaster