Minutes of the Business Meeting
Hegel Society of America
October 31 to November 2, 2014
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Minutes respectfully submitted by Peter Wake (acting as temporary Secretary).
- President Robert Bernasconi called the meeting to order at approximately 6:15 pm.
- Ardis Collins reported on a conference session organized under the auspices of the Society that was held at the December 2013 meeting of the Eastern American Philosophical Association and addressed the theme, "Challenging the Kantian Frame."
Ardis also reported the Executive Council’s decision to allow the Philosophy Documentation Center to post online those articles accepted for publication in the Owl of Minerva. Only subscribers to the journal will have access to these articles in this format.
- In her role as Treasurer, Ardis then presented the Treasure’s Report. Between October 2012 and October 2014, income received totaled $27,763, of which $25,853 came from subscription income. Expenses paid out totaled $29,751.
The Society’s checking account had a balance brought forward in September 2012 of $32,515. The current balance is $31,721.
The Society also has funds invested in a certificate of deposit. The balance brought forward in October 2012 was $15,001 and is now $15,123.
The Society’s total assets (checking account plus the certificate of deposit) are $46,844.
- The following motion proposed by the Executive Committee was read by Ardis: "Move that the Vice President of the Hegel Society of America, who is responsible for organizing the next Hegel Society conference, continue as a member of the Hegel Society Executive under the title Editor of the Published Papers until and including the next Hegel Society biennial meeting." The motion was approved by acclamation.
- The following members were nominated for office:
|President ||Angelica Nuzzo and Allegra de Laurentiis
|Vice-President ||Glen Magee
|Councilor ||Mark Alznauer, Michael Morris, Henry Southgate, Lou Turner
Angelica Nuzzo was elected President, Glen Magee was elected to the office of Vice-President, and Mark Alznauer and Lou Turner were elected Councilors. Ardis Collins and Michael Baur will continue in their positions as Treasurer and Secretary respectively. Karin de Boer and Nicholas Mowad will remain in their positions as Councilors.
- The following four topics were proposed for the 2016 Hegel Society meeting:
Hegel and His Contemporaries
It was agreed that the policy of including a membership-wide vote to decide the theme would continue.
Hegel and Ancient Philosophy
Hegel and the Nineteenth Century
Hegel and the Non-Western World
- Mark Alznauer was thanked for his work as the local organizer of the 2014 meeting.
- Philip Greer remembered George L. Klein, former President of the Society, who passed away on October 21, 2014. Ardis remembered Joseph Flay, also a former President of the Society, who passed away on June 27, 2014.
- A suggestion was made that we consider choosing the Vice President after conference topics have been decided. A motion to have the Executive Committee take up the issue was made and approved by acclamation.
- A motion was made to thank those Northwestern institutions that supported the meeting. The motion was approved by acclamation.
- The meeting adjourned at approximately 7:17pm.
Return to the Hegel Society of America Home Page
Last updated 3/11/17 by Andrew R. Hill